Damn this trouble code! I believe this code points to one of the O2 sensors downstream, but I’m starting to think this is one of those catch all codes that’s designed to drive owners nuts! I’m not a mechanic, but I can change out a sensor… again! However, I would love to know the root cause of this issue so I can fix it once and for all!
After a bit of digging on assorted online forums, the signs are pointing to a failed or failing catalytic converter. So off to the parts e-store I go! Time being a premium these days, I’m sure I’ll get the parts soon but they’ll sit on my shelf for a while before I can find the time to pull out the pipes for a replacement.
I’m finally back from the shop and with way more mods than I can write about in the next couple minutes. I hope to go into all of them in detail in the coming months, but in the mean time I wanted to drop this awesome picture from Windrock Park where I DIDN’T break an axle this year!
I know I haven’t posted in months, but this blog isn’t dead! My Jeep has been in the shop getting a custom long arm set-up for quite some time. Typically, I like to DIY everything, but when it comes to custom fabrication & welding, that’s just a smidge above my pay grade. Due to factors beyond my control, this work is taking quite a bit longer than expected. BUT, I’ve got new goodies on the work bench ready to go on as soon as the TJ gets back from the shop & trips already planned to get out on trail again in the coming months!
As promised, here are some before/after/during shots of my brake work. Not very glamorous, but well worth the time & effort I put into it.
I took the TJ in bone stock form (with a few small pieces of armor) out to Rausch Creek and I’d like to say it did really well save one issue that revealed itself. The bushings in the rear control arms are all so shot that the rear end jiggles something fierce on off camber trails and the rear locker won’t kick on (pretty sure that’s a shot vacuum pump). Other than those issues, it actually did really great! Can’t wait to build it up a little more b/c it really needs a smidge more clearance.
As you can tell by the parts stack above, I’ve got my hands full doing a little brake work this weekend. After a few drives, I thought I should replace the pads since the brakes were a little light, but since I had no idea when the rotors were done (and they looked a bit worn), I figured I should swap those out too. And then after looking around the underside of my TJ, I saw a little too much rust for my comfort on the calipers and went ahead with a new set of calipers all around too. Since I’m not really upgrading, just replacing, these parts aren’t terribly expensive. At the pace that I wrench, this will deff be a few hours worth of work getting my stopping power back. I’ll post up some comparison pictures and gripes after the work is done but won’t be doing another write up. This one applies to TJs too.
When you wheel a non lifted Jeep, every thing that hangs down from the frame is going to take a beating and the lower control arm mounts are no exception. The stock mounts (left) are not the strongest metal to begin with and it only takes a few rocks to cause enough damage to make changing out a control arm a challenging task. So, before you go, armor those LCA mounts up! I’ve selected a set from Synergy Manufacturing. This weld on skid comes as a pair of angled steel plates that protect and strengthen the LCA mounts. I touched them up with a little rattle can black after the welds cooled off and was ready to hit the trails!